Monday, April 4, 2016

Hit me on buzz - A fun, afrocentric Buzzfeed Podcast



Friends in my head Heban Nigatu and Tracy Clayton host a promising podcast on BuzzFeed. BuzzFeed is an Internet media company based in New York City. The firm describes itself as a "social news and entertainment company" with a focus on digital media and digital technology in order to provide "the most shareable breaking news, original reporting, entertainment, and video. Prepare yourself there's a lot of drinking and curse (I'm not a fan of that part but they sure are funny) on the show. Number five in the Huffington Post "11 Black Podcast leading the golden age of Audio", Oct 2015. I anticipate the weekly podcast shows and tell anybody that will listen about the ladies. Their topics range from African feminism, turning 90's sitcoms into musicals and men peacocking at the gym (who ever knew that could even be a thing?), and mangoes.


Most recently the ladies interviewed Melissa Harris-Perry an American writer, professor, television host and political commentator. Her show on MSNBC was cancelled after some controversy. Melissa came on the show to explain her side of her show's cancellation. I appreciated Heban and Tracy bringing Melissa on the show because if it was not for them I would have not heard about this incredibly smart, black woman and the awesome work she's doing at Wake Forest University.



I just started listening to the blog in Feb 2016 and I am hooked. I trying to remember how I initially heard about the blog but for the life of me I can't. The blog started just one year ago.


My favorite thus far is Episode 35: Heben and Tracy's Kwanzaa Spectacular. Listening to this really makes me wish I had found this blog earlier and could have attended. The ladies threw a pair of live shows in NYC. In the same format of their podcasts with a few surprises. We all know their are 7 Kwanzaa principals but friend of their show introduces 8 more HILARIOUS people!! I'm trying to tell. Here are a few of my favs.

  • Boosee: A traditional request, usually shouted, to be wiped down by one's peers

  • Mufasa: To selflessly sacrifice one's life for a child who is on some real bullsh*t

  • Anibezjuwokee: The practice of being hit by- of being struck by- a smooth criminal


The interviewed a "Steve Harvey" (impersonator) HILARIOUS. Heban and Tracy sounds like they have been friends forever but The Guardian tells us that the duo met while working at Buzzfeed.

Popular Quotes

  • "Doing the Lord's Work" - Heban explanation behind when she feels as though someone is doing a exceptionally while job in the community. I like to think I too am doing lord's work by bringing you this blog
  • "Drink some water, take your meds and call your Mom" - This is the way Tracy ends each and every show often times she even adds in more stuff she thinks we should remember
  • "Hit me on the buzz" - So... funny, true story. Tracy tells us in an earlier episode how her dad casually asked her to text him later but instead this dude says...and it has been a thing ever since   
The next time you go road tripping or while you are sitting by the beach this summer download a couple of episodes of Another Round with Heban and Tracy. I promise you will learn something you didn't know before. If you don't at lease remember what Tracy always says at the end of each episode

"drink more water, take your meds and call your mom (she misses you)"


This is Doneisha and this is my so-called southern life.

<a href="http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/14826023/?claim=g2t5yfdnkd3">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>





No comments:

Post a Comment